This week in “7” we will be looking at our relationship with “stuff” including our clothes and possessions. Our hope is that as we learn to lessen our grip on our “stuff”, we can make more room for God in our lives. Please let us know if you have any questions or suggestions! The link below is a PDF version in case you’d like to print it out.
7: Clothes and Possessions
OVERVIEW: This week we’ll start off talking about clothes, but then expand it to all of our possessions. The Bible talks extensively about falling in love with material things. We don’t want to, but it’s very easy to do.
INVENTORY: Go in your closet and count how many items of clothing you have. How many have you worn in the last 3 months?
MISSIONAL OPPORTUNITY: Look through your closet and house and see what items of clothing, sheets, towels, and small kitchen items you are not using that could be helpful to someone in transition (like a battered women or someone leaving rehab). Bring them to the church for our new clothes closet.
POSSIBLE CHALLENGE: (Choose one or create your own)
- Wear only 7 (or another number that still challenges you) pieces of clothing for the week .
- Give something of value of yours (not junky stuff you don’t use) to someone each day this week.
What challenge will you take?
Why did you choose this particular one?
Thursday: Read Isaiah 53: 1-3. These verses are about Jesus even though they’re in the OT.
53: 2 – “He had not beauty or majesty to attract us to him.”
- Isn’t it fascinating that we spend so much time trying to make ourselves “look good” when we’re told that Jesus was just an average looking guy. Do you place a lot of value on how you look? If so, where did you learn this from?
Friday: Read Matthew 6:28-34.
6:28 – “And why do you worry about clothes…”
- We’ve all had times where we’ve worried about what we wear. What are some ways this week’s challenge can help you focus on the right things instead of worrying about the wrong things.
Saturday: Read Matthew 6:19-21
6:19 – “Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth…”
- Take a slow walk around the place where you live and answer these questions: In what ways am I storing up treasures for myself? If there were a fire, what 2 possessions would I grab? Using the things you’ve just seen in your house, where would you say your heart is?
Sunday: WORSHIP & REST
Monday: Read Luke 21:1-4
21:3 – “This poor widow has put in more than all the others”
- Be honest. When you give stuff away (to charity, our church, others), do you give your best, or do you give what’s leftover? What would it look like for you to give in a way that was like the widow in these Bible verses?
Tuesday: Read Matthew 6:24: “No one can serve two masters. Either you will hate the one and love the other, or you will be devoted to the one and despise the other. You cannot serve both God and money.
- How did this week’s experiences affect your life?
- What lasting changes have I considered making because of this week’s study?